Working Holiday 417 Visa vs a Work Visa 462?


job opportunities in australia for civil engineers,


Travel and work in Australia with the Working Holiday Visa 417 or Work and Holiday Visa 462

People often feel confused about which type of visa they require to travel and work in Australia. But don’t worry! This post will explain each type of the two visas, so you can decide which one is suitable for you.

Working holiday visa (417)

This visa lets people 18 to 30 years old (inclusive) – except for Canadian and Irish citizens up to 35 (inclusive) – have their first extended holiday in Australia and work here to help fund their trip.

You must be a citizen of and hold a valid passport from one of these countries:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan (other than an official or diplomatic passport)
  • The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

New Working Holiday 417 visa arrangements for UK passport holders

The Australia-United Kingdom Free Trade Agreement (A-UKFTA) entered into force, commencing new arrangements under Australia’s Working Holiday Maker (WHM) program and the UK’s Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS).

From 1 July 2023, UK passport holders can apply for a Working Holiday visa between the ages of 18 and 35 years inclusive. Working Holiday visa holders can currently stay three years in Australia. This stay consists of three separate visas granted for 12 months each.

From 1 July 2024, UK passport holders can also be granted up to three separate Working Holiday visas without having to meet any specified work requirements such as hospitality or farming.

You must apply online from outside Australia, not be accompanied by dependent children and not have previously been in Australia on a subclass 417 or 462 visa. You can stay for 12 months and the visa costs AUD450.

The majority of applications is processed in 3o days.

With this visa, you can

To learn more about this visa and to apply, click here

Work and Holiday Visa 462

This visa lets people 18 to 30 years old (inclusive) have an extended holiday in Australia and work here to help fund their trip. You can stay up to 12 months and the visa cost is AUD450.

Processing Time
  • 75% of applications in 24 days
  • 90% of applications in 32 days

With this visa, you can

You must:

  • have a passport from an eligible country
  • be at least 18 to 30 years old (inclusive)
  • apply from outside Australia
  • not be accompanied by dependent children
  • not have previously entered Australia on subclass 462 or 417 visa

You must be a citizen of and hold a valid passport from one of these countries:

  • Argentina
  • Austria
  • Chile
  • China, People’s Republic of
  • Czech Republic
  • Hungary
  • Indonesia
  • Israel
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Peru
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • Uruguay
  • United States of America
  • Vietnam

Source: Australian Government Department of Home Affairs 

This blog was last updated on the 8th February 2019.

Disclaimer and Exclusion of Liability

Information provided on this web site “Site” by ConsultANZ, is intended for reference only. The information contained herein is designed solely to provide guidance to the user and is not intended to be a substitute for the user seeking personalized professional advice based on specific factual situations.

This Site may contain references to certain laws and regulations which may change over time and should be interpreted only in light of particular circumstances. As such, information on this Site does NOT constitute professional migration or legal advice and should not be interpreted as such.

The user accepts the information as is and assumes all responsibility for the use of such information. ConsultANZ does not warrant that this Site, various services provided through this Site, and any information, software or other material downloaded from this Site, will be uninterrupted, error-free, omission-free or free of viruses or other harmful components.

While visa applicants do not have to use a migration agent to lodge a visa application with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, many individuals applying for an Australian visa may prefer to enlist the services of a trusted professional.

The Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) keeps an up-to-date list of registered migration agents.


Women in Civil Engineering


ConsultANZ recently interviewed Sumesha Durais and Riki Shutte, Civil Engineers at NorthConnex, to find out what it is like for women in the civil engineering industry in Australia.

^ Back to top