What is Queen’s Wharf?
Queen’s Wharf will be a world-class integrated resort development in Brisbane CBD that is expected to open in 2022. It will be a leisure and entertainment destination attracting 1.39 million additional tourists each year.
The development area extends from the current Treasury Casino building at the top of the Queen Street Mall to Alice Street, and from the Brisbane River’s edge to George Street.
Who is delivering Queen’s Wharf?
Destination Brisbane Consortium, a joint venture between The Star Entertainment Group, and Hong Kong-based Chow Tai Fook Enterprises and Far East Consortium, is delivering the $3.6 billion development.
It will be a mixture of contemporary architecture and restored heritage building providing dining options, nightlife and entertainment, local and international retail brands as well as five and six-star hotels.
Which contractor will be delivering major construction works for the Integrated Resort Development?
Destination Brisbane Consortium has awarded preferred contractor status to Multiplex for the major construction works at the transformational Queen’s Wharf Brisbane Integrated Resort Development.
“The works that Multiplex will deliver include the shell and core works covering the basement, base services, tower structures and the façade of the main integrated resort,” Mr Crooks said.
“It includes the integrated resort high-rise tower shells ready for later fit-out works, the podium level nestled between the towers and the iconic Sky Deck that will sit 100 metres above street level.
“Multiplex will build five levels of basement carpark, the resort back of house facilities including kitchen, laundry, staff cafeteria, amenities and central energy plant.
“It’s a massive contract that in total will include approximately 370,000m2 of floor area and 105,000m2 of energy efficient glazed façade.
Works will commence mid-2019 with construction works expected to reach George Street level in late-2020 and the first stage of the IRD ready for completion in late-2022.
Who is Multiplex?
Multiplex is a global construction company with headquarters in Sydney, Australia.
The company operates in Australia, India, Canada, Europe and the Middle East and specialises in high rise buildings, stadia, high-end residential, mixed-use, education, health and civil infrastructure.
Multiplex was founded in 1962 in Perth, Western Australia by John Roberts.
- BankWest Tower, Perth completed in 1988[
- Central Park, Perth completed in 1992
- Citigroup Centre, Sydney, completed in 2000
- Old Swan Brewery, Perth completed in 2001
- Federation Square, Melbourne completed in 2002
- Stadium Australia Reconfiguration, Sydney completed in 2003
- Flinders Wharf, Melbourne completed in 2003
- Perth Convention Exhibition Centre, Perth completed in 2004
- Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre, Gold Coast, completed in 2004
- Latitude, Sydney completed in 2005
- Melbourne Convention Centre, Melbourne completed in 2009
- Brookfield Place, Perth, completed in 2012
- Swanston Academic Building, Melbourne, completed in 2012
- Fiona Stanley Hospital, Perth completed in 2013
- Prima Pearl, Melbourne completed in 2014
- 1 William St, Brisbane completed in 2016
- Crown Towers, Perth completed in 2016
- Perth Stadium, Perth completed in 2018
How big will the development be?
Queen’s Wharf development will cover more than 26 hectares across land and water and will provide more than 12 football fields of public space.
What is the project timeline?
January 2017 – demolition of the non-heritage buildings commenced.
On 1 January 2017, part of William Street and Queens Wharf Road will close to normal traffic as these streets are transformed to haul routes for the trucks, cranes and dozers that will begin the demolition of the three non-heritage buildings in the precinct (the Executive Building, 80 George Street and Neville Bonner Building).
Early 2018 – the excavation and shoring work begins.
Mid-2018 – commencement on Waterline Park and the Bicentennial Bikeway upgrade.
Mid-2019 – the main integrated resort development contract awarded.
By 2022 – the core of the development is expected to open
The conversion of the existing Treasury Hotel and Casino into a The Ritz-Carlton and high-end retail store will commence afterwards and is expected to open in 2024.
Timing for the residential towers has not yet been confirmed but will be after the core of the development
Video Credit: Brisbane Development via YouTube
What is the cost of building Queen’s Wharf?
The total cost will be more than $3.6 billion. and will include:
- An integrated resort and entertainment precinct with more than 1000 premium hotel rooms (across five hotels) and a feature Sky Deck with views from a height of more than 100 metres.
- A residential precinct of approximately 2000 apartments.
- Public infrastructure including a pedestrian bridge, development of public space along Brisbane’s riverfront and repurposed heritage buildings.
ConsultANZ Recruitment – We consult our Clients on their hiring needs and our Candidates on their career prospects.
Information provided on this web site “Site” by ConsultANZ, is intended for reference only. The information contained herein is designed solely to provide guidance to the user and is not intended to be a substitute for the user seeking personalized professional advice based on specific factual situations.
ConsultANZ makes no representations or warranties as to the contents or accuracy of the information contained in this publication. To the extent permitted by law, ConsultANZ disclaims liability to any person or organisation in respect of anything done, or omitted to be done, in reliance upon information contained in this publication.