Tips On Moving To Australia


skilled migrants, visa 417, visa 462, work and holiday, working holiday visa,


There are a couple of things you should do immediately after arriving in Australia.

Read through our tips on moving to Australia below.

These include:

  1.       setting up a Bank Account
  2.       applying for an Australian Tax File Number (TFN)
  3.       choosing a Super Fund
  4.       getting a Medicare card if you are eligible

Bank Accounts

If you’ll be in Australia for more than 6 months, it is worth opening a bank account either before you leave your country or immediately on arrival in Australia. It is however much easier to open it when you are in Australia. You will need the following documents to open an account:

  •         Passport
  •         Confirmation of arrival in Australia
  •         Valid visa
  •         Additional form of Identification

Should you not be able to open it on arrival try and do it before 6 weeks after your arrival. If you do it after 6 weeks, you will need extra identification which could include:

  •         Birth Certificate
  •         Drivers Licence
  •         Credit or Bank Card

The four major banks in Australia are NAB, Commonwealth Bank,  Westpac and ANZ.


The Australia Government’s principal revenue collection agency is called the Australian Taxation Office or ATO.

Everyone working or who wants to work in Australia should apply for a Tax File Number (TFN). You will need this unique number for tax reasons as well as any other administrative purposes. You can apply for this number on the ATO website. You will only need your passport to apply for the above number. You should get this number within 28 days after application. If you don’t apply for a TFN, you will get taxed at a very high rate (at the moment it’s 47%), you won’t be able to lodge your annual tax return electronically, get an ABN number, should you wish to open a business, or apply for government benefits.

Australia financial year runs from the 1st of July to the 30th of June.


Superannuation is money set aside to provide for your retirement. It generally begins when you start working.

Your employer is obliged to pay a portion, which is currently 9.5%, of your salary or wages into a superfund of your choice.

Should you not choose one, the contribution will then be paid into your employer nominated superfund. Super gets paid over and above your salary or wages.


The Australian Government provides help with basic medical expenses through a scheme called Medicare.

Depending on your type of visa, you may be eligible to join Medicare and gain access to free public hospital care, help with the cost of out-of-hospital care, and subsidised medicines.

After registration, you will be sent a Medicare Card which you should carry with you at all times.

If you would like better medical coverage, there are many different private health insurance providers such as Medibank or Bupa, as Medicare does not provide for all services (for example dental and optical).

Read more of our blogs on skilled migants and moving to Australia or Nealand.

^ Back to top