This update is brought to you by Advisably.
As you may have already heard, the New Zealand Managed Isolation Allocation System is full until the end of November 2021.
December 2021 is not yet showing in the Managed Isolation Allocation System but there is a lot of interest on social media from New Zealanders overseas wanting to come home for Christmas and summer.
We thought we would clarify what the other options are for booking MIQ spots for the construction sector to get critical workers to New Zealand.
In summary, if you are planning on bringing critical workers from overseas you will have to plan at least 3 months ahead.
Option 1: ‘Group allocation requests for construction’
This is the Construction Sector Accord process: 60 places per month available from June to October 2021 only.
- Applicants must be essential for the construction of critical infrastructure or for the construction of an approved major infrastructure project.
- Applicants must also have unique experience and technical or specialist skills not readily available in New Zealand.
- Applicants must hold a valid visa that allows them to enter and work in New Zealand before they apply. Applications without a valid visa will not be considered.
- Travel in August 2021 is no longer possible.
- Group allocation request to be lodged before 10 August 2021 for travel in September 2021.
Option 2: ‘Time sensitive travel endorsement request’
This allocation process is for workers travelling to New Zealand to undertake time sensitive tasks in specified areas of work that will have significant consequences, whether human, social, environmental or economic.
- Applications must be supported by an endorsement from a Government agency.
- Applicants must hold a valid visa that allows them to enter and work in New Zealand before they apply.
- The individual’s entry or return to New Zealand is required to enable work that is essential for the construction of critical infrastructure of regional or national significance.
- Applications for travel in July, August, September and October 2021 have now closed.
- MBIE will accept applications between until 14 September 2021 for people who need a place in managed isolation between 1 November and 31 December 2021.
Advisably is the leading New Zealand immigration advice practice for infrastructure projects. We have a proven track record of providing expert immigration advice in a constantly evolving environment of immigration regulation changes.
Our clients are the companies who deliver and service infrastructure projects across New Zealand. They include construction and engineering companies, equipment manufacturers, asset owners, operators, and project joint ventures and alliances. We have supported the largest infrastructure projects in New Zealand: City Rail Link, Central Interceptor and Auckland Downtown infrastructure.
Return to the ConsultANZ Blog.
The New Zealand Government announced a new one-off resident visa pathway for some temporary work visa holders currently in the country.
There are two options for construction workers based overseas to be eligible for an NZ border exception, see what they are in this article.