Working Holiday Visa 417 for Civil Engineers and Surveyors


skilled migrants, visa417, work and holiday, working holiday visa,


Australia’s Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) is a temporary visa for young people from eligible countries who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. 

The working holiday visa will give you the opportunity to gain career and life experience while living and working in Australia. For young Civil Engineers, Construction Professionals, and Surveyors, it provides an opportunity to potentially work for top-tier engineering companies on Australia’s largest infrastructure projects.

What are the costs and time frames associated with getting a Working Holiday Visa?

The 417 visa is one of the more cost-effective visa options for entering Australia. The cost of the visa can change from time to time however currently a 417 visa will cost AUD $635 (Oct 2023) and if your application is successful it should take no longer than two weeks!

Once you have your Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) you have 12 months to activate it. The visa activates once you enter Australia. It is then valid for the following 12 months.


Read the interview with British Civil Engineer Nathan Ewing who pre-COVID-19 travelled to Australia on the 417 Working Holiday Visa and was placed by ConsultANZ with Ecospec on a Gold Coast-based project.

Am I guaranteed to get one? If I don’t get one after applying what costs are involved?

No, you are not guaranteed a 417 visa. To start you are required to meet the minimum eligibility requirements:

  • have not previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday visa (417 or 462)
  • hold a valid passport from a country involved in the Working Holiday Program with Australia:
    • Belgium
    • Canada
    • Republic of Cyprus
    • Denmark
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
    • Republic of Ireland
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Republic of Korea
    • Malta
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Sweden
    • Taiwan (other than an official or diplomatic passport)
    • The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • have turned 18 years of age but have not yet turned 31 (except for Canadian, French, British and Irish citizens up to 35 inclusive);
  • have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday (about AUD 5000);
  • have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay;
  • will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay;
  • meet health and character requirements;
  • not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused;


New Working Holiday 417 visa arrangements for UK passport holders

From 1 July 2023, UK passport holders can apply for a Working Holiday visa between the ages of 18 and 35 years inclusive. Working Holiday visa holders can currently stay three years in Australia. This stay consists of three separate visas granted for 12 months each.

From 1 July 2024, UK passport holders can also be granted up to three separate Working Holiday visas without having to meet any specified work requirements such as hospitality or farming.

What are the chances of gaining work in the civil engineering field once I arrive in Australia?

Currently, the Australian civil infrastructure/construction market is booming. If you have relevant industry experience and have a reasonable degree of flexibility on location and project type, then the likelihood of obtaining work once you are in Australia is very high.

How can ConsultANZ assist with this process?

ConsultANZ is in the business of finding opportunities for engineers, surveyors and other construction professionals across all of Australia. We have in-depth knowledge of the Australian civil engineering market and have relationships with many of the companies delivering major projects.

If you are interested in coming to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa 417, we can advise on potential opportunities that would be available to you. We can provide employment options relevant to your timelines, experience, and preferences.

Once I arrive and gain my initial work placement, what happens if I want to stay long-term?

If you do 3 months of specified work you can become eligible for a second Working Holiday visa. Many companies are also offering longer-term sponsorship to those whose Working Holiday Visas are expiring. If you impress during your initial employment on the 417 visa, then there are most certainly opportunities for sponsorship beyond the Working Holiday Visa period.

What are the other visa routes that I may be eligible for?

There are many different visa types for which you may qualify. Other options might include temporary visas, sponsored by an Australian company OR permanent visas that require state sponsorship. You may also be eligible to apply for the subclass 189 visa, which is an independent visa for skilled professionals coming to Australia.

How can I find out more information on this process and get in contact with ConsultANZ?

If you are a Civil Engineer, a Construction Professional or a Surveyor who would like to be part of the infrastructure boom in Australia or New Zealand, register your CV here or search our jobs.

ConsultANZ Recruitment  –  We consult our Clients on their hiring needs and our Candidates on their career prospects.

Disclaimer and Exclusion of Liability

Information provided on this web site “Site” by ConsultANZ, is intended for reference only. The information contained herein is designed solely to provide guidance to the user and is not intended to be a substitute for the user seeking personalized professional advice based on specific factual situations.

This Site may contain references to certain laws and regulations which may change over time and should be interpreted only in light of particular circumstances. As such, information on this Site does NOT constitute professional migration or legal advice and should not be interpreted as such.

The user accepts the information as is and assumes all responsibility for the use of such information. ConsultANZ does not warrant that this Site, various services provided through this Site, and any information, software or other material downloaded from this Site, will be uninterrupted, error-free, omission-free or free of viruses or other harmful components.

While visa applicants do not have to use a migration agent to lodge a visa application with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, many individuals applying for an Australian visa may prefer to enlist the services of a trusted professional.

The Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) keeps an up-to-date list of registered migration agents.

^ Back to top