Design Engineer Job Description
Design Engineers use computer software to design, build and test the functionality of products for manufacture. This includes appliances, furniture, tools, vehicles, robots, industrial equipment, and other consumer goods and products. Design Engineers are important as they need to ensure that goods and products are safe.
- Liaise with stakeholders and clients to understand design requests and determine project brief
- Research, design and analyse new and existing ideas for products and systems
- Use Computer Assisted Engineering (CAE) and Computer Aided Design (CAD) software to create drawings and concert concepts for digital models and blueprints
- Ensure that plans and prototypes follow industry guidelines and standards
- Build and test prototypes of design to assess safety and functionality
- Collaborate with engineers and designers on different aspects of projects
- Research manufacturing processes to ensure sustainability and that they are cost-efficient
- Analyse data from tests and present designs and demonstrations for client approval
- Bachelor’s degrees in Engineering (majoring in Mechanical), design or any other related certified qualifications
- Extensive knowledge of mathematics, mechanical design, and metal fabrication processes
- Ability to plan, schedule, and problem-solve effectively
- Up-to-date understanding of best practices regarding system security measures
- Have in-depth knowledge of 3D CAD software and SolidWorks
- Bonus – Register with professional engineering associations (Engineers Australia or Institution of Mechanical Engineers) to grow your connections and enhance your credibility
- Work across various engineering disciplines, including electrical, civil, aerospace, mechanical, manufacturing, chemical, and several more
- Travel may be required to different work/construction sites
- Work regularly in an office environment
- Generally work for a design consultancy or in organisations/businesses that focus on consumer goods, manufacturing, and automotive industries
Career Opportunities/Employment Opportunities
- Opportunities to become a Senior Design Engineer
- Opportunities to have senior roles in team leadership, project management, or a consulting role
- $95k – $115k per year in Australia
- $90k – $125k per year in New Zealand
This Design Engineer job description is a guideline only and will vary depending on the company, project and location within the Australian/New Zealand market.
Job Opportunities for Design Engineers
ConsultANZ Recruitment – We consult our Clients on their hiring needs and our Candidates on their career prospects.
Office Administrator, Engineering – job description, salary, requirements, qualifications, and job opportunities for Australia and New Zealand.
Environmental Specialist job description, salary requirements, qualifications, and job opportunities for Australia and New Zealand.