Australian Visas – Questions & Answers


Australian visas, civilengineeringjobsaustralia, skilled migrants,


Are you a Civil Engineer, a Construction Professional or a Surveyor who is considering relocating to Australia, but feels confused about the Australian Visa System?

You are not alone!

We know how difficult and confusing the application process for an Australian visa can be. Some of our team members went through this process themselves, moving to Australia from the UK, South Africa, Poland, Fiji and Peru!

That’s why we have compiled a list of most common questions we get asked. We have tried to answer these questions to our best ability. 

How do I know if I qualify for a specific visa type?

The quickest way to find out if you qualify for a specific visa is to take an eligibility assessment as different visas have different requirements. You should keep in mind that this is a general indication of your eligibility to apply and that each visa application is considered on an individual basis.  

You can explore different types of visas on the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs website or you can find an immigration agent to advise you. If you are considering hiring a migration agent, we strongly recommend you find an RMA (Registered Migration Agent).

The good news is that most engineering professions are now on the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL).

(PMSOL) identifies 44 ​occupations which fill critical skills needs to support Australia’s economic recovery from COVID-19. The occupations (ANZSCO code) are:

Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
Construction Project Manager (133111)
Accountant (General) (221111)
Management Accountant (221112)
Taxation Accountant (221113)
External Auditor (221213)
Internal Auditor (221214)
Surveyor (232212)
Cartographer (232213)
Other Spatial Scientist (232214)
Civil Engineer (233211)
Geotechnical Engineer (233212)
Structural Engineer (233214)
Transport Engineer (233215)
Electrical Engineer (233311)
Mechanical Engineer (233512)
Mining Engineer (excluding Petroleum) (233611)
Petroleum Engineer (233612)
Medical Laboratory Scientist (234611)
Veterinarian (234711)
Hospital Pharmacist (251511)*
Industrial Pharmacist (251512)*
Retail Pharmacist (251513)*
Orthotist or Prosthetist (251912)
General Practitioner (253111)
Resident Medical Officer (253112)
Psychiatrist (253411)
Medical Practitioners nec (253999)
Midwife (254111)
Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
Registered Nurses nec (254499)
Multimedia Specialist (261211)
Analyst Programmer (261311)
Developer Programmer (261312)
Software Engineer (261313)
Software and Applications Programmers nec (261399)
ICT Security Specialist (262112)
Social Worker (272511)
Maintenance Planner (312911)
Chef (351311)
* Indicates occupation added in July 2021

Priority processing of nomination and visa applications for PMSOL occupations applies to these employer sponsored visa subclasses:

You might also be able to submit an EOI (Expression of Interest) through the online tool SkillSelect.

An EOI is not a visa application, but a confirmation that you would like to apply for an Australian visa. If your EOI is successful (you have got enough points), you will be invited to apply for a visa. This service is free.

What if I am a Graduate?

Recent engineering graduates from recognized institutions and eligible universities might be able to qualify for the Skilled Recognized Graduate visa that allows them to get up to 18 months of skilled work experience.

The visa gives you the right to work in Australia and be eligible for permanent residency or provisional skilled visa.

What about Working Holiday Australian Visas?

The Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) is a temporary visa for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. It is a temporary visa that encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and eligible countries.

Read more

The Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) lets people 18 to 30 years old (inclusive) have an extended holiday in Australia and work here to help fund their trip. You can stay up to 12 months and the visa cost is AUD450.

Read more

Can I get a Sponsorship visa?

TSS is a temporary visa which allows skilled workers to stay up to 2 years (Short-Term TSS) or 4 years (Medium-Term TSS) depending on the occupation. It is a sponsorship visa.

Occupations on the STSOL List (Short-Term Skilled Occupations ) will be eligible for visas of up to two years. Visas might be renewable once, for a further two years. Occupations on the MLTSSL (Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List) will be eligible for up to four years visa (with eligibility for permanent residency after three years).

Read more

What are the requirements and supporting documents I need to submit for Australian Visas?

Different visas require different documents. If you want to work in Australia you will need documents to prove your skills, good knowledge of the English language and you might need to take specific tests and attend interviews.  

Engineers Australia (EA) is the professional body for engineers of various kinds and performs Skills Assessments for migration purposes.

Everyone applying for a visa within the General Skilled Migration Program needs to obtain a positive Skills Assessment. If you are an Engineer, you must go through Engineers Australia.

Some countries have agreements with Engineers Australia (Sydney, Dublin and Washington Accords) and engineering degrees from such countries are considered equivalent to Australian degrees, making the Skills Assessment process a straight-forward one. Read more

How long does the visa application process take?

Each visa type has its own processing time, but most applicants receive an answer within the prescribed time frame. 

Obtaining a visa can take a long time and what many Applicants are not aware of, is that most visas have age restrictions. For example, Working Holiday Visa is for people under the age of 30 years old (except for Irish and Canadian citizens who have an age limit of 35 years old).

For the Skilled Independent Visa 189, age is also very important. Applicants in the age bracket 25-32 years old score 30 points, whereas older applicants in the age bracket 40-44 years old get only 15 points.

If you are applying for a PR visa (Permanent Resident) it will take you a couple of months to gather all required documents and the processing times can take anywhere between nine and twelve months.

How much money do I need?

If you are planning to holiday in Australia you don’t need to have a specific amount of money, however, you should be able to prove that you have means to support yourself financially during your stay. Bank statements are usually sufficient proof.

Who can I take with me to Australia?

Some visa types allow you to include family members in your application, while others require your companions to go through a separate application.

What can I do if my visa application is denied?

If this happens, you have two options. The first is to talk to you migration agent and ask if you can have the decision reviewed by a merits review tribunal. The second is to ask about other visa options that you may have.  

How long can I stay in Australia?

You can stay in Australia as per the period indicated on your grant notification. Times vary from visa to visa and you should make sure you do not remain in Australia after your visa has expired.  

I have an illness. Will this be an issue?

Most visa applicants need to meet certain health requirements to be granted an Australian visa. If you have an illness, you should talk to your migration agent as they will be able to advise you on the steps you will need to undertake.  

Who can help you with Australian Visas?

We understand that moving to another country can be daunting. It is wise to find a migration agent who can help with the paperwork

We also advise you to do as much research as possible before getting on the plane. Here, at ConsultANZ we are willing to share our knowledge with you and answer your questions about living Down Under.

Disclaimer and Exclusion of Liability

Information provided on this web site “Site” by ConsultANZ, is intended for reference only. The information contained herein is designed solely to provide guidance to the user and is not intended to be a substitute for the user seeking personalized professional advice based on specific factual situations.

This Site may contain references to certain laws and regulations which may change over time and should be interpreted only in light of particular circumstances. As such, information on this Site does NOT constitute professional migration or legal advice and should not be interpreted as such.

The user accepts the information as is and assumes all responsibility for the use of such information. 

^ Back to top