Tunnelling Surveyor Job Description
A Tunnelling Surveyor specialises in assessing and mapping subsurface spaces, ensuring the precise excavation and construction of tunnels. They use advanced surveying techniques to provide accurate measurements, monitor tunnel progress, and ensure the safety and efficiency of underground infrastructure projects.
- Use advanced surveying instruments and technologies to establish precise control points, alignments, and benchmarks for tunnel excavation
- Conduct comprehensive tunnel surveys to ensure accurate dimensions, alignment, and gradient compliance
- Read and interpret drawings
- Generate accurate as-built drawings, cross-sections, and reports to document tunnel construction progress
- Perform laser scanning and point cloud analysis to create 3D models of tunnel profiles
- Supervise, assist and mentor Graduate Surveyors/Junior Surveyors
- Liaise with the client and other key stakeholders throughout the whole project
- Monitor and analyse tunnel deformation, settlement, and convergence using specialising monitoring equipment and software
- Ensure all Occupational Health and Safety procedures are being adhered to
- Manage and calibrate surveying equipment to ensure they are in optimal condition for accurate measurements
- Tertiary qualification in Civil Engineering, Surveying or any other related fields
- Proven experience in tunnel surveying
- Familiarity with geotechnical concepts and monitoring methods
- Problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Be able to work in confined spaces
- Good understanding of/experience with modern survey instrumentation
- Proficiency in using total stations, laser scanners, GPS equipment, and other related software tools
- Work in varying weather conditions
- Travel may be required to worksites
- Can be physically demanding as it involves carrying equipment and standing/walking
- Extra hours may be required when nearing the completion of a project
- Collaborative work with other professionals working on the projects
- $100k – $160k per year in Australia
This Tunnelling Surveyor job description is a guideline only and will vary depending on the company, project and location within the Australian/New Zealand market.
Job Opportunities for a Tunnelling Surveyor
ConsultANZ Recruitment – We consult our Clients on their hiring needs and our Candidates on their career prospects.
Keep up to date with industry news and job opportunities through the ConsultANZ Recruitment LinkedIn page.
The Silvertown Tunnel project in London involves constructing a new twin-bore road tunnel to improve congestion and transportation.
Tunnelling powers ahead to construct the 23km Western Sydney Airport metro alignment in Greater Western Sydney.