Changing Employers on a 457 visa


457visa, australia jobs, consultanz,


Changing Employers on a 457 visa

At ConsultANZ we understand that some jobs might not be the best match and sometimes an employer change is necessary.

However, those who enter Australia on a 457 visa must be aware of the fact that changing an employer can affect their chances of applying for a permanent residency later on.

You can change your employer at any time on a 457 visa as long as you abide by your employment contract and give your current employer proper notice.

However, you must find a new employer within 90 days of ceasing employment with your previous employer, your new employer must be an approved sponsor and must nominate your position before the 90 day period expires.

Furthermore, you can’t start working for your new employer until the 457 nomination is approved which takes 2 – 4 weeks.

If you don’t find a new employer within 90 days who has nominated your position, you may no longer be in Australia legally.

If you want to apply for a permanent residency, later on, one of the requirements is that you work for two years for the same employer and in the same location. If you decide to change your employer after a year or so, you might not be able to apply for a PR visa.

What is a TSS Visa subclass 482

The 482 visa is a temporary residence visa which allows businesses to sponsor overseas workers to Australia to undertake work for a period of either up to two or four years depending on the type of work they will be performing.

For a full list of eligible skilled occupations, visit the Department of Home Affairs page here.

With this visa you can:

  • work up to a maximum of 4 years for your sponsor, depending on the terms in the labour agreement.
  • study (you won’t receive government assistance)
  • travel to and from Australia as many times as you want, while the visa is valid

Read more of our blogs for skilled migrants. 

^ Back to top