Geotechnical Engineer Job Description
The role of a Geotechnical Engineer is to analyse and determine the possible impacts of soil and rock on a construction site when placed under pressure from structures. This analysis can help determine what materials must be used in the structure’s foundation or overall design or whether the project needs additional measures to ensure it is safe.
- Obtain soil and rock samples to determine compressibility, efficiency, strength and other certain factors that affect the structure’s behaviour
- Perform and review face mapping of rock slopes and cuts and stabilisation measures
- Plan field investigations by drilling and analysing samples of bedrock or deposits
- Look at the risk of geological hazards and make sure any factors affecting engineering works are identified and managed
- Use specialist computer software to create analytical 2D and 3D models
- Manage staff, including other engineering geologists, geotechnical engineers, consultants and contractors
- Undertake data collection, analysis, evaluation and reporting
- Determine the safe load for soil
- Analyse and map technical results retrieved from seismic surveys, investigate subsurface conditions and materials to determine properties and risks
- Bachelor of Geotechnical Engineering, Geology, or any other related qualifications
- Proficiency in using geotechnical analysis and design software
- Have a deep understanding of soil and rock mechanics and geology to help manage ground conditions in engineering projects
- Understanding of ethical standards with consideration to public safety and environmental impact
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with clients and other teams
- Excellent written and communication skills
- $120k to $140k per year in Australia
- $80k – $100k per year in New Zealand
This Geotechnical Engineer job description is a guideline only and will vary depending on the company, project and location within the Australian/New Zealand market.
Job Opportunities for a Geotechnical Engineer
ConsultANZ Recruitment – We consult our Clients on their hiring needs and our Candidates on their career prospects.
Keep up to date with industry news and job opportunities through the ConsultANZ Recruitment LinkedIn page.
Office Administrator, Engineering – job description, salary, requirements, qualifications, and job opportunities for Australia and New Zealand.
Environmental Specialist job description, salary requirements, qualifications, and job opportunities for Australia and New Zealand.